Friday 24 June 2011

Infatuation

The air shimmers for a moment, like heat waves in the midday sun. Time slows down. It's as though I am glimpsing an oasis in the desert; a spring flowing with the nectar of all things beautiful and fulfilling in this world. I can hardly believe my eyes. His face, oh, God! I begin to feel my cheeks burning. Sweat is breaking out on my forehead and palms. I am bombarded with a whole host of extremes. In an instant I am hysterical, joyous, sad, fearful, fearless. I am losing control of my senses, my normal boundaries are slipping away. The cold casket that bears my soul is bursting all around me in a flurry of ice splinters. And far off in the distance I can hear strains of a melody I perhaps heard in the days before I was born, a soft humming, like the sound of a slow sunrise.
I can't look at you, but nor can I look away. Your mere presence lulls me into a dreamy daze where I feel as though I actually have the courage to do the unthinkable. I see a winged steed approaching, I know its name, I can feel it in my bones: Freedom. I take the creature by the horns and we streak across the heavens in a blaze of lightning, and then return to earth in all the time it takes to touch the hem of an angel's gown and kiss his feet. As I catch my breath, I realise I am no longer myself. I have ceased to be the girl I was only a matter of seconds ago. All because of a glance, and a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment